Tuesday, January 10

Is The Baby a Boy or Girl?... Balloon Pop Sex Reveal Video!

Since we decided we would like to find out the sex of this baby at my mid-pregnancy ultrasound, we thought it would be fun to test out a few prediction methods in the weeks before. 

Heart Rate: 
Supposedly, 140 or below and the baby is a boy and if it is above the baby is a girl.
At my 12 week appointment, the baby's was 157, so by this method the indication is that the baby is a girl! 
However, while I don't remember what Harper's was exactly at this point, I believe it was in this range as well. 
Baking Soda Test:
If baking soda and the pregnant woman's urine fizz when mixed together, it is a boy if not, it is a girl. 
When I tried this one, my mixture was very fizzy, indicating a boy! 

burgess blog

Ring Test:
If the pregnant woman's wedding band, when tied to a string and dangled over her belly, swings in a circle it indicates a girl, while back and forth indicates a boy.
This one also gave us a boy result!
Family History:
This prediction method could possibly have a little more science behind it than the others, considering that it is the father who contributes the variable X or Y chromosome that determines the baby's sex. 
Looking at the recent generations, specifically the sex of the babies born to male Burgesses, it seems the Burgess line runs high to boys (that is a turn of phrase I read somewhere once and have always wanted occasion to use). However, our sample size was pretty small and I have seen other families thing they were destined to have a particular sex, experience dramatic reversals. My stepfather's family thought they could only make boys ... then came my sister and several female cousins on her heels. Still, it is hard not to wonder if there could be is something to it.
On the other hand, my mom had her first baby, a boy, at 30, followed by me three years later. I have noticed that families sometimes seem to follow certain patterns. It would be interesting if I were to have have girl now, shortly before my son, who was born on my 30th's, third birthday. I guess that gives us a mixed result for family history.
burgess blog
"Chinese Gender Prediction Chart"
There are several variations of this type chart to be found, they all basically predict the baby's sex (it really peeves me when people refer to sex and gender interchangeably, but I digress) based on the month of conception and mother's age at the time. I used the one from The Bump.
It previously predicted Harper would be a boy and predicts a little brother for him is on the way! 

So...three out of five test predict we are having a boy, one was mixed/inconclusive and only one predicts a girl. We would have been delighted with either and eagerly awaited the day we would find out. We had so much fun making our pregnancy announcement video that we decided to share our excitement with another video:




1 comment:

quilterscomfort said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.