Saturday, September 3

Apples and Pumpkins - fall toddler learning activity

I am so excited about the felt board activity that I made to go along with "Apples and Pumpkins" by Anne Rockwell. 
"Apples and Pumpkins" (or "App" and "Pun-Key", as Harper calls them) is a sweet story about a family going to a farm to apple pick and select a pumpkin from the patch .
I cut shapes to resemble one of the apple trees, apples, basket and the pumpkins in the book. I made pumpkin vines out of yarn and made tried to cut the leaves for those and the apple tree in something like the correct shapes. The tree, and all the leaves are stuck down with hot glue, but the apples and pumpkins are loose so they can be "picked" and stuffed in the basket (I left the top unglued, so it is basically a pocket). 
Harper and I played with the felt board as we read through the story, picking the apples from the felt tree, when the family in the story picks apples and doing the same for the pumpkins. Then we put the pumpkins back in the pumpkin patch and the apples back on the tree (sorting, identification) and as we did that I talked with him about how the apples are red and the pumpkins are orange (colors), the pumpkins are larger and the apples smaller (differences, size) and how the apples grow in a tree and the pumpkins grow on vines (horticulture/nature). I could easily see incorporating a counting activity as well.
Harper had such a good time with this, he even asked me to get it back out again a few minutes after we had initially put it away. By my standards that makes it great success, I cannot wait to try more activities like this with him! 

No comments: